Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Where Exactly IS Los Angeles?

 
Los Angeles is everywhere, or so it seems. 
I feel bad for L.A. transplants.  Figuring out L.A. must be like learning trigonometry (aka really hard).  Everyone knows about the five burroughs of New York City, but does anyone know all of the communities that make up Los Angeles?  I've lived here all of my life and I couldn't name them all if my life depended on it.  Los Angeles is a sprawling giant metropolis...literally.
 
 

  And to make it more confusing, some communities are actually incorporated little cities (West Hollywood, Santa Monica) and not part of Los Angeles proper.  And yet they are smack dab in the middle of it all.

One common thread, when you're looking for real estate, it's ALL going to cost a lot of $$$.

And good luck trying to figure out where to even start looking.  You've got Downtown - getting more populated with condos and lofts popping up everywhere.  
 
Then there is the West Side - Wilshire area, Westwood (go Bruins!), Brentwood and all of the beach communities. 
 
 

There is Hollywood, West Hollywood, Los Feliz and Silverlake where there are beautiful, historic properties from the 1920's and 1930's with tons of great architecture.  I'm going to look at a place in this historic building where many old-time "movie stars" have lived. 
 
 
And of course there is the "valley", which refers to the San Fernando Valley which starts on the other side of the Hollywood Hills/Santa Monica Mountains, north of Mulholland Drive. (have I completely confused you?)  There are some beautiful neighborhoods in the valley like Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino...my favorite areas are in the hills and snuggled up next to Ventura Boulevard.
 
 
For my new home, I have been looking in the Hollywood, West Hollywood, Studio City and Sherman Oaks areas.  There is not a lot of inventory (realtor-speak) which is good for sellers.  Properties are going quickly with multiple offers, which is a little terrifying as a buyer, but great for the property I'm currently selling.  We've been on the market for about 3 days and already had several showings....fingers crossed for a great offer.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks so much for reading & have a great day!

~Karen~

 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love your LA tutorial. I lived in Southern California for a combined 8 years, yet never actually LA and I must say it always kinda mystified me. I love LA and my daughter and I would seek out interesting places to shop, eat and see from movies etc....this is so interesting and LOVE the LA photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to know. I am familiar with the area around LMU where my youngest just graduated from.
    My oldest son also went to school in LA at USC and so we got to know that area too. Otherwise, LA is just a great big endless city to me. Good luck with your home search!

    ReplyDelete